Android Pie is here! Let's enjoy a slice
17 Aug, 2018
Google's latest flavor of Android is jam-packed with all sorts of new features, including a brand-new gesture navigation system, new UI elements, and a heap of under-the-hood tweaks that aim to make this the best version of Android to date.
What are the features?
Enroll for Android App Development (Basic) »
Enroll for Android App Development (Advance) »
- With Android Pie, you can chuck the traditional navigational bar entirely, opting instead for a little pill-shaped nub at the bottom of the screen.
- It makes it much easier to flip between your active apps, lining them up horizontally so that you can just slide between them.
- Recent Android revisions have put a big focus on improving battery life, and that's definitely true again with Android Pie thanks to the new Adaptive Battery feature.
- The new Android Pie feature isn't just a simple ambient light sensor, but rather another machine learning ability that tracks the brightness level you like – and when and where you like it like that. And then it adjusts accordingly.
- If you reply to a message or email from an alert, you'll see a trio of contextual "smart replies" that can save you a lot of time and hassle with a single tap.
- Android Pie adds native support for cutouts. Sure, notched Android phones are already widely available from various makers, but by baking in support natively, it ought to make for a more consistent UI experience – particularly for notifications.
- Android Pie has a quick think about what your next move will be and automatically pops up options to save you a few taps.